HIV Prevention among Patrons of High Risk Spots in Lagos State
HIV/AIDS Programme Development Project (HPDP II) is an intervention, focusing on HIV prevention using Structural, Behavioural and Biomedical intervention approaches called Minimum Prevention Package Intervention (MPPI). In this project, LAPO is a partner in the consortium of three Organisations namely Health Awareness and Gender Advocacy Initiative (HAGAI), Eagle Eye Behavioural Initiative and Lift Above Poverty Organization (LAPO) to carry out HIV prevention activities among people who visit brothels and drinking spots where Female Sex Workers operates. The project is implemented in eight Local Government Areas of Lagos state. These Local Governments are Agege, Ajeromi Ifelodun, Alimosho, Apapa, Surulere, Eti-Osa, Ojo and Badagry Local Government Areas.
Objectives of the Project
- To contribute 50% to the targeted reach of 30% of other vulnerable key population with comprehensive HIV /AIDS prevention services by the end of 2014 in Lagos State
- To reach 40% patrons of high risk spots (Venue) in the intervention LGAs with comprehensive HIV Counseling, Testing and referral services by the end of 2014 in Lagos State.
- To reach 40% patrons of high risk spots (venue) in the intervention LGAs with comprehensive knowledge of, and ensure consistent condom use and other HIV prevention methods by the end of 2014 in Lagos State.
- To reach directly 70% patrons of high risk spots (venues) in the intervention LGAs with comprehensive HIV knowledge, information and education about HIV prevention intervention services by the end of 2014 in Lagos State.
Activities carried out by LAPO through the project include advocacy visits to Alimosho and Ojo Local Government areas of Lagos State; Open Community Meeting/Dialogue held at Ojo LGA secretariat to ensure that the stakeholders and the target population were aware and engaged for the intervention; Behavioural Change Communication outreaches at various hotspots in Alimosho and Ojo Local Government Areas. The outreach was a moonlight activity where Venue Activators used comedy as a strategy to get the attention of the audience and pass message on facts about HIV/AIDS which helped to assess and increase their knowledge of risk and transmission of HIV.
Other activities carried out include:
- Administration of HIV/AIDS Knowledge Questionnaire to 35 patrons at the hot spots
- Distribution of printed IEC materials to clients of hot-spots across the local government areas
- Distribution of male condoms among target persons
- HCT services were rendered to patrons during outreach activities and lots of patrons had the opportunity to know their HIV status. Those tested positive were referred to Ojo PHC
- Over 30 hot-spots were reached for project interventions