LAPO Annual Development Forum
The Annual LAPO Development Forum was initiated in 1994 and has become a faculty of development in its own right. The Forum is a vital component of the organization’s strategy for stimulating investigations into the nature and causes of poverty and has stimulated discourse on the development agenda in Nigeria and Africa with very realistic solutions canvassed by guest lecturers and conferees.
The Forum provides a veritable platform for stakeholders to discuss and proffer pragmatic solutions to identified issues in poverty and development. Participants usually include partners in development, government agencies and institutions, policy makers, the academia, religious, traditional and professional bodies, the media, civil society organizations, with inputs from key sectors of the economy. Highlights and reports of the Forum are published and widely circulated.
The theme of the first edition of the LAPO Annual Development Forum held in 1994 was “The Nigerian Economy and the Poor: 1984-1994”. Discussions and conclusions at this session reinforced our belief that sustainable approach to poverty alleviation must go beyond charity and directed at strengthening income capacity of the poor. Subsequent editions of the Forum addressed other pertinent issues.
Former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon, GCFR, Former President Olusegun Obasanjo, GCFR, Former CBN Governor, Professor Charles Chukwuma Soludo, CFR and Hon. Justice Samson O. Uwaifo, CON, JSC (Rtd) are among prominent personalities in Nigerian who have either chaired or delivered keynote papers at the Forum in the past.
- To examine and proffer solutions to the challenges inhibiting primary healthcare delivery in Nigeria
- To advocate for workable policies and strategies to ensure access to quality health care in rural communities
- To contribute to lowering child and maternal mortality, and to improve basic health care for all, including reproductive services.
- A well-documented and publicized report containing presentations, discussions, major conclusions and recommendations capable of stimulating sustainable socio-economic transformation in Nigeria.
- Implementation of new and existing policies capable of driving the growth and development of the Nigeria health sector.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE ANNUAL LAPO DEVELOPMENT FORUM
- The Annual LAPO Development Forum has over the years provided stakeholders the needed platform to interact and proffer realistic solutions to the crucial problem of poverty and under-development in Nigeria
- Ideas generated from previous editions of the Forum have improved the programme focus and delivery methodology of development organizations including LAPO.
- Key resolutions at Annual LAPO Development Forums have inputted into national poverty reduction programmes of various tiers of government.
27th LAPO Annual Development Forum 2019
26th LAPO Annual Development Forum 2019
25th LAPO Annual Development Forum 2018
24th LAPO Annual Development Forum 2017
23rd LAPO Annual Development Forum 2016
22nd LAPO Annual Development Forum 2015
For further information on the Annual LAPO Development Forum, contact:
Honestus Ayobami Obadiora PhD
Executive Director: +234 806 6981901
Head, Communications & Advocacy
Tel: (+234) 816 3706505, 705 9493989
Manager, Health & Special Projects
Tel: (+234) 813 3994016
Lift Above Poverty Organization (LAPO) is a non-governmental and not for profit development organisation that is totally committed to the social, health and economic empowerment of the poor and vulnerable in Nigeria. LAPO was founded by Dr. Godwin Eseiwi Ehigiamusoe in 1987 while working as a Rural Cooperative Officer in Ogwashi-Uku, Delta State.
Over the years, the organisation has demonstrated uncommon commitment to poverty alleviation through the implementation of innovative credit and non-credit empowerment programmes targeting disadvantaged groups. LAPO programmes include gender sensitization aimed at reducing the level of gender inequity, social exclusion and health intervention, which include prevention, care and treatment of HIV/AIDS, malaria and other tropical diseases.
The leading institution enabling prosperity, excellent health and social justice in Africa
To use innovative approaches to provide financial, health and social services to stakeholders in a sustainable manner.
Connect With Us:
LAPO … Improving Lives
- Jonathan to speak at Lift Above Poverty event in Abuja October 21, 2021
- LAPO Boosts Rural Agriculture, Supports Farmers With N11bn October 5, 2021
- LAPO Improves Health Conditions Of 22 Million Community Members October 5, 2021
- Jonathan, Ehanire, Adeleye To Speak At LAPO Dev Forum September 28, 2021
- LAPO Tasks Agency On Improved Health Services in Edo September 28, 2021