2,894 Community Members Screened during Cancer Sensitization
LAPO reached 4,532,127 community members with cancer sensitization campaign between August and September, 2018.
The organization is currently implementing a 2-yearCommunity Campaign for Cancer Control (LAPO-C4) project in Lagos, Imo, Abuja, Rivers, and Edo State aimed at reducing cancer-related deaths in Nigeria with focus on prevention and early detection.
The project, which consists of mass awareness, screening and referral services is designed to assist community members detect cancer ailments early for uptake of preventive treatment.
A breakdown of the figures indicates that 214,992 persons received direct sensitization while 4,495,410 were reached through Information, Education and Enlightenment (IEC) handbills and the mass media. 2,894persons were screened for the ailment and 11 referred to tertiary health institutions for treatment.
The Executive Director of LAPO, Sabina Idowu-Osehobo who said the project is aimed at preventing and mitigating cancer in Nigeria, advised women to ascertain their health status regularly as breast and cervical cancer poses a serious threat to their lives.
- IFC and Nigeria’s LAPO Partner to Expand Microfinance Lending in Sub-Saharan Africa May 5, 2021
- ‘Nutrition key to ending child, maternal mortality’ April 28, 2021
- NGO seeks proper nutrition for Nigerian children April 28, 2021
- Action Newsletter March 2021 Edition April 26, 2021
- Int’l Women’s Day: LAPO gives out N0.9m to women for contributing to growth, development of Nigeria March 16, 2021