The 30th Annual LAPO Development Forum, Oct. 19, 2023
The Role of Non-State Actors in bridging the development gap between government and the people towards achieving accelerated National Development in Nigeria shall form the fulcrum of discussions at the 30th Annual LAPO Development Forum.
Theme: The Role of Non-State Actors in National Development: A Case Study of LAPO.
Date: Thursday, October 19th, 2023
Venue: Yar’Adua International Conference Centre, Abuja
The main objectives of the 2023 Annual LAPO Development Forum are:
- To examine the state of Nigeria’s development.
- To appraise key government and donor-led national development initiatives.
- To present a synopsis of the 35 year of LAPO’s contributions to national development (1987- 2022)
- To advocate for effective implementation of sustainable development policies and plans
- To facilitate key stakeholders collaboration for sustainable national development.
About LAPO Annual Development Forum
The Annual LAPO Development Forum was initiated in 1994 by the organisation to stimulate investigation into the nature and severity of poverty and underdevelopment in Nigeria and Africa and has over the years become a faculty of development in its own right, with very realistic solutions canvassed by guest lecturers and conferees.
The Forum provides a veritable platform for stakeholders to discuss and proffer pragmatic solutions to identified issues in poverty and development. Participants include development partners, government agencies and parastatals, policy makers, civil society organizations, the academia, religious, traditional and professional bodies and the media. Highlights and reports of the Forum are usually published and widely circulated.
The theme of the first edition of the LAPO Annual Development Forum held in 1994 was “The Nigerian Economy and the Poor: 1984-1994”. Discussions and conclusions at this session reinforced our belief that sustainable approach to poverty alleviation must go beyond charity and directed at strengthening income capacity of the poor. Subsequent editions of the Forum addressed other pertinent issues.
Former Head of State and Presidents, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, Olusegun Obasanjo, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, Anambra State Governor, Prof. Charles Soludo and Hon. Justice Samson O. Uwaifo, CON, JSC (Rtd) are among eminent personalities who have featured as chairmen or keynote paper presenters at previous editions of the Forum.
- To examine and proffer solutions to the challenges inhibiting primary healthcare delivery in Nigeria
- To advocate for workable policies and strategies to ensure access to quality health care in rural communities
- To contribute to lowering child and maternal mortality, and to improve basic health care for all, including reproductive services.
- A well-documented and publicized report containing presentations, discussions, major conclusions and recommendations capable of stimulating sustainable socio-economic transformation in Nigeria.
- Implementation of new and existing policies capable of driving the growth and development of the Nigeria health sector.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE ANNUAL LAPO DEVELOPMENT FORUM
- The Annual LAPO Development Forum has over the years provided stakeholders the needed platform to interact and proffer realistic solutions to the crucial problem of poverty and under-development in Nigeria
- Ideas generated from previous editions of the Forum have improved the programme focus and delivery methodology of development organizations including LAPO.
- Key resolutions at Annual LAPO Development Forums have inputted into national poverty reduction programmes of various tiers of government.
29th LAPO Annual Development Forum 2022
28th LAPO Annual Development Forum 2021
27th LAPO Annual Development Forum 2020
26th LAPO Annual Development Forum 2019
25th LAPO Annual Development Forum 2018
24th LAPO Annual Development Forum 2017
23rd LAPO Annual Development Forum 2016
22nd LAPO Annual Development Forum 2015